There’s not a year that goes by where health and exercise are not on my New Year’s resolution list. There was once a year where I promised myself that I wouldn’t make resolutions, but somehow I still created a list of “things to do” and guess what…health and exercise were on the list! I will say, I’m already feeling 2016, and I’m ready for a change in my health and fitness. I’ll go on record to say it’s for real and that a year from now when I’m blogging about 2017 New Year’s resolutions I’ll be a healthier person. Who’s with me?
I’ve made it easy for all of us to start the year off right. I’ve rounded up a list of gyms in Woodland and as a nice bonus, I asked two local personal trainers to give us some tips and hints on how to have a healthy and active 2016.
Melika Salvemini, Owner of Oasis Club & Spa and Kaia FIT Woodland, suggest three things to help keep you focused…
- I’m all about setting resolutions all year long, not just in the New year. Start off with a bang by dedicating time on your calendar for yourself!
- The best gift you can give yourself is to be present wherever you are, whether you’re with friends or family. Enjoy it.
- Make two simple goals for yourself that you can stick with. For instance, make it your resolution to keep at these goals for at least six weeks and make them “habit” i.e. Drink at least 80oz water or move daily for at least 30 minutes.
Shelley Hunt, Personal Trainer (and toughest cookie around!) at Cross Court Athletic Club and teaches classes at other clubs in town, shares six of her go-to ways to get healthy and fit this year…
- The Greatest Wealth is Health – Upgrade your eating plan by eating a protein-rich breakfast every day, include a variety of colors in meals, cut out as much processed food as possible (eat fresh foods!), and focus on QUALITY, not quantity.
- A ONE-hour workout is only 4% of your day. Try starting the New Year with a cross-training approach, don’t do the same kind of exercise every day. Variety is key to avoiding boredom and hitting plateaus.
- Don’t expect it to happen overnight! Get up, work hard, be PATIENT and trust the journey. Find the middle ground and make your goals realistic from where you are starting. Don’t go from zero to 60 overnight.
- Small changes can make a BIG difference. Try these to start, drink more water, eat smaller portions, walk more, and get more sleep
- Fall in Love with the process and the results will come! Focus on the joys of exercising and the ability to be able to move your body. Be proud of your body getting stronger. Focus on your strengths instead of weaknesses.
- You are never too old, never too bad, never too late, and NEVER to sick to start. Try something new, find a challenge to sign up for, and focus on how good it feels to be healthy—YOU are worth it!
Gyms in Woodland
36 Main St
Woodland, CA 95695