The Yolo County Fair was incorporated in 1935. Records indicated that the fair, once established and the 40th District Agricultural Association, was expanded to include a horse show (1936) and industrial show (1937). Under the provisions of Section 81 of the California Agricultural Code, the petition for the 40th DAA was submitted in 1937.
The current 55-acre fairgrounds site, which was the former “Blowers Ranch,” was purchased by the DAA Board of Directors in 1940. The existing buildings included a farm house, horse and cattle barns and a bunk house. Later a stock building was built and the exhibit building was relocated from the previous site.
In 1942 the DAA Board discontinued the fair due to World War II. The fair resumed six years later in 1948. Since that time the Yolo County Fair has operated successfully each year and has expanded the structures and scope to accommodate a successful annual fair and related non-fair activities.
The Yolo County Fair is the largest and oldest free gate fair in California. It maintains this status because of the hundreds of volunteers, county/community support, sponsorships, and partnerships with county businesses and individuals. The fairgrounds also hosts several large annual events such as the Sacramento Scottish Games & Festival, the Capital Camellia AKC show, 4-H Spring Show, and numerous other public and private events year around. The fairgrounds is also the county’s emergency destination location for people and animals, training space for numerous police and fire departments, and housing for FFA and 4-H animals. The fairgrounds have an RV Park and a Little League Park operated by the City of Woodland.